30 November 2009

Thanksgiving!

We got to spend Thanksgiving in our new house this year. Amy's parents and her sister came to stay with us for a few days starting Thursday. Amy got up early and started cooking - I went for a bike ride! I earned it after spending almost all of the day before cleaning and putting up the dreaded lights on the house! Even had my very own Clark Griswald moment that involved me finding out the hard way that one of my extension cords was bad. "Camden, come watch. I'm going to turn on all the lights! 1....2....3! WTF!?!?!?!?" You can imagine the rest.

Dinner was great and Amy did an AMAZING job on the turkey - which I got to carve!

Thursday night we stayed up past 2 in the morning playing games and somehow Amy and her dad managed to still get up at the crack of dawn to run to a sale so her dad could get something for his computer. Amy managed to knock out most of Cam's X-Mas shopping too - except for his BIG gift that I got last week. You'll have to wait for Christmas for that one!

Friday night we headed over to The Dalles to watch the Starlight Parade.

We had a lot of fun with Amy's family staying a couple days. Camden loves playing with his grandparents and exhausted himself every day with them.

Reading books with Granddad is always a favorite!
Playing EleFun with Grand mom in his room - he is very proud of his room and his big-boy bed!

Camden and his aunt Serena - who stayed with us for the entire weekend - Cam has not left her alone now for 4 straight days!
The weather in the Gorge has been nothing short of beautiful all weekend. My amazing wife even gave me a free pass every day to get out and ride since she knows I will go crazy if the sun is shining and I am not out in it this time of year!
Sunday we got up early and headed out for a hike so everyone could work off some of the extra pieces of pie we had. We hiked up Mitchell Point just a few miles west of Hood River. It was an amazing morning and Camden did great. This hike is only 2.2 miles round trip but it is straight up and very rough. Equally as impressive was my very pregnant and beautiful wife who managed to make it to the top as well.
A quick break on a log part way up where we stopped to "shoot the bad guys" with our stick guns!
This trail is very steep and you traverse a rocky scree field a few times making the footing very interesting for a 3 yr old and a pregnant woman but they managed fine. Camden did the whole hike on his own - he really is amazing!

Another quick break on the scree field. Only part way up and the views were already amazing.
Aunt Serena at the top:
Camden taking a seat at the top ready for a snack to get some energy for the hike down. As he crested the top he said: "What a view Dad!!" I hope he always appreciates what a beautiful area we live in and always has an interest in doing things in the outdoors. I never want to push him in any one particular direction and will always support what ever it is that he wants to do as he gets bigger but it just makes me melt when he says things like that and makes me feel like I am at least doing one thing right with raising him like we are!

Sitting on the ridge line of Mitchell Point enjoying the sunshine!
A perfect day for a hike and a perfect spot to soak up some vitamin D
The views from the top are incredible in every direction. This is a shot looking west down the Gorge toward Portland:
Goodbye for now from "Heaven on Earth" the Columbia Gorge!

No comments: