02 July 2009

Bike Races!!

Cam and I have been doing a lot of bike racing in June. Last night, after seeing the bigger kids race this week, he told me he was ready to take off the training wheels!! He did good for his first time riding up and down our road with me chasing behind him. Only 3 1/2 yrs old and doing well with it. Being a father gets more fun with every year!!

Here are some pics from a couple races this month.

Camden lining up for his first mountain bike race!
And they're off!! Some spots were a little rough for training wheels, so daddy had to give a hand. (One of the races that has made Cam want to get rid of the training wheels) Head down and taking it serious!! Pedaled his little heart out - he has his mom's competitive streak for sure!!
After the race he is just like all the guys I ride with. Full of his stories about how he did!! "Did you see me ride those bumps dad?"
"I went REALLY fast" After his race, I got my chance for a little mountain bike racing on the short track.
This is a pic of the field of racers in the distance - it has been dry and hot here!
A couple of shots of me racing. I did 5 laps on the route and every time I went over the hill at the start/finish line I would pop a big wheelie so Cam could see me. I could hear him cheering over everyone else - It was awesome!!
I did pretty well and completed 4 of 5 laps in the top 12-15 guys but messed up hopping a log on my last lap and dropped my chain. 6-7 guys passed me at that point and I ended up 20th out of just over 50 racers in the Cat 2 35-45 group. The very next night we headed back to PIR to race on the road with the Mountain View team. It was fun to race on the track and the asphalt is smooth as glass. It was a bit windy but we averaged 24.5 mph for almost 90 minutes.
The rolling start - our team leading out
I could here Camden cheering me on with every lap just like he did the night before
Coming by on one of our 15 laps.
Our team of 5 Cat 4 guys controlled the tempo of this Cat 3/4 race for a couple laps with Karl and Tony both doing some long hard pulls!

Here I am crossing the finish line. I rode well and even led the group to pull back in a small breakaway early on. Our finish was a bit confusing as some of us thought we were going to do another lap due to having to neutralize part of our last lap for the pros to blow by us, but in the last stretch a bunch of guys sprinted and the race ended there - I didn't have anytime to react as I was leading at that moment and was suddenly engulfed with sprinters. I had fun and will be back again!!
POSER!!!

No comments: