28 February 2009

A Fun Filled February


We have had a great February. After living in Utah for 10 years we are use to cold and snow in Feb with some great skiing mixed in. I haven't been skiing nearly as much the past few years and it has been great to live in an area where you can enjoy other outdoor activities as well as still having the ability to get up on the mountain for some fun in the snow.

Here in Hood River I have actually managed to get in just over 350 miles of cycling OUTSIDE this month. Although - as you can see from the pictures to the right - most of the bigger climbs end up with snow. These pics are from a 2000 ft climb I did on a 50 degree day in the Gorge - I was just about 2 miles from the end but decided my skinny tires of the road bike did not like the snow/slush!



A couple days ago while working from home Camden commented on how he could see the mountain from our family room window. Mt. Adams was almost glowing in the morning sun with the fresh layer of snow that had fallen earlier in the week. I knew Mt Hood would be the same way, so I got busy to get all of my work done early for the day and Camden and I decided to head up to the ski area after his nap for a few hours of skiing on the "Wonder Carpet"

Camden thought the wonder carpet was the coolest thing. A big conveyor that you ski right onto that pulls you to the top of the hill where you ski right off. He kept saying "Let go dad! I do it by myself"

At first he was not so sure about the skis and thought they were not the easiest things to walk in - especially up hill!
But in no time, the knees started to relax and give a little bend like he had been doing it for years, putting his weight on the front of his ski boots and learning the "pizza wedge" and "french fry" style of skiing!
After riding the wonder carpet a half dozen times (In the background of pic below) he started building more and more confidence. The first time I let him go ahead of me - out from the safety of skiing between my skis with me holding him - he took off "french fry" style and bolted right for the one and only ski jump someone had built in the middle of the slope! By the time I caught back up he had gone airborne and landed on his bottom, laughing and saying "let's do it again daddy!!" And we did - over and over again until the lift finally closed. We were the last two to ride the wonder carpet on the day!
Me: "Camden, show me how to go REAL FAST"
Camden: "Like dis!"


And by the way - Mt Hood was looking as beautiful as Mt. Adams when we started our day.








No comments: