16 February 2008

Saint George Riding

We finally decided we had to get out of the snow! We headed down to Saint George over the weekend to visit Keith, Stacey and the boys. The weather was perfect - mid 60's all weekend and in the southern UT desert that feels like 80. We took the road bikes as I was a bit weary of how muddy the mtn bike trails might be. On Saturday Keith and I took off from his house and went across St. George to go climb Utah Hill. We did about 30 miles that ended with a good climb of about 1700 ft. I felt pretty good for most of the ride. My new rear cassette on my road bike definitely helped with the climbing (changed from a 11/23 to a 12/27). I did not eat enough that morning and was feeling a bit shaky by the time the girls caught us in Keith's expedition to pick us up to go play. We all went to a park not far from Keith's house and let the boys go crazy and run off some steam. Camden has so much fun running around chasing his older cousins and you can tell he just wants to be one of the big kids. That night we cooked up a seafood feast (yes - seafood in UT!) Keith and I picked up a bunch of Alaskan King Crab legs and a ton of shrimp to steam up for dinner. I think everyone was good and sick that night from bloating ourselves on seafood and butter!
The next morning Amy and I hooked the trailer up to my bike for Cam and the three of us went out for an 1 1/2 hour long ride all over St. George. Sunday morning is a great time to ride in UT as all the mormons are in church and the roads are quiet - at least until church lets out and then there is a mad dash to get home and read scripture. This is when you have to watch out as a cyclist. I've had some of my scariest moments riding by a church (which is on every corner in this state) as it is letting out. I guess they figure they don't have to pay any attention to the people coming towards them on a bike because they just keep pulling out in front of me.

I didn't even get the camera out on this weekend until we were packing to go home. Take a look at the few pics I did get. You can see quite the contrast in the weather from our snowed in house near Salt Lake to my brother's just 4 1/2 hrs away!

You can tell we are a family that stays fit. Take a look at how my brother keeps his boys fit. Doesn't give them batteries for their toys - they have to take turns pushing each other!!

Cam on the slide:

So, I have the most beautiful wife but for some reason getting her to let me take her picture is like pulling teeth. This is how 90% of the pictures I have of her look. What's ironic is that she'll go through our pictures later and say: "We never have any pictures of me." (go figure!)

No comments: