30 November 2007

Utah is Amazing

This week we finally got some snow in Salt Lake. Our yard is still covered this morning and Camden and I got to play with his sled in our front yard - he was so excited over it - even though it went about 10 feet and stopped.But the thing that makes UT amazing is how diverse the weather can be in different parts of the state. My buddy Eric and I had to go to Southern UT for work yesterday. We left extra early (5 am) to make sure we had some time in the day to squeeze a little biking in while down there. Check out the few pictures we got while biking Gooseberry Mesa near Zion National Park. While everyone in Salt Lake is bundled up and fighting the ice on their driveways - we were mtn biking in 60 degree weather and sunshine.Gooseberry Mesa is a really fun, technical, scenic ride. It's a mix of singletrack and sandstone that take you out to the nose of a huge mesa with spectacular views. The pictures we took are right on the trail. The North and South Rim trails go around the mesa point right on the edge of a 1000 ft cliff. Beautiful and scary at the same time. I've heard a lot of folks say they think this trail is even better than the Slickrock trail in Moab, but I don't know if I agree. This trail is very fun and will test your skill (I went over my handlebars and banged myself up pretty good) but it doesn't have the lung-buster climbs and fun downhills that the Slickrock trail offers.
Overall it was a great day as we had a successful sale for work and were able to get in an epic ride while still making it back home the same day.

No comments: